40 Berkeley is the former YWCA Residence for Women at the corner of Berkeley Street and Appleton Street in Boston’s historic South End district. The building was built in two phases, first in 1884 and added to and renovated in 1952. It was purchased from the YWCA in 2010 by Forty Berkeley, LLC.
There are 208 single rooms in the building, a first floor with spacious common areas, a mezzanine and outdoor garden area, and a cafeteria style dining facility on the lower level. 40 Berkeley is home to many long term residents as well as many other short term residents including students during the school year and hostel guests year-round.
In 2011, FOCUS, Inc., contracted with 40 Berkeley LLC to bring services to the residents of affordable housing that promote the success and well-being and provide educational assistance to young adults through hosteling, so that they may gain a greater understanding of the world and its people.